Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

We, as artists...

...are meant to explore, to create...for ideas to come from within. But, it's obvious that we will be influenced by other artists whose style we admire. We can't help that...it just *is*.

When I sit down to work, I start with my own ideas...that come to me in my own head. However, it's entirely possible that subconsciously I'm remembering something I've seen somewhere along the way. Something that caught my eye. When I look through pc books in the library or bookstore, usually what I do is flip through and stop on pages that intrigue me. I rarely follow tutorials, it's too hard for me to follow things step by step. I don't even take many classes for that very reason. I don't want to do a project, I want to learn a technique...and when I begin teaching, that's what I want to focus on...the process, not the project. I believe Sarah Shriver addressed this at Synergy. Wish I could have been there.

So, as I work with these florals, I try to remember...what made me start with florals anyway? I think I first saw them in a Judy Belcher book.

When you learn a new technique or a project from an artist or even just realize that you are being influenced by him or her, the right thing to do (for me anyhow) is to then get a grasp on your original idea that came from your head... but carry it out by making it come from your heart. Work from your head only and your work will always be compared to someone else. Work from your heart too and that is *art* and that's where all the fun comes in anyway!

I hope I'm making some kind of sense here, but felt I had something to say. Carry on...get back to your work table now and hold on to that *original* idea you had...and make it work! *g*

4 comments:

Molly said...

Made sense to me. Of course there is alot of emotion tide to this subject and it is hard to tell when what we are saying IS what we are saying!

Good stuff!

Regina said...

Hi, Rubarb - from a fellow New Mexican. Can't believe I haven't run across your name yet - found your name on Tejae's blog. I'm a board member of the NM PC Guild here in Abq. I hear what you're saying about being influenced by others' work - I take in the techniques but create from my own ideas. I was making PC mosaics before I ever heard of Laurie Mika, but I wouldn't dream of copying one of her designs. My work comes straight from the heart. Hope you'll visit my blog sometime.
Regina
Omnium-Gatherum Arts

Barb Fajardo said...

Hey Molly...thanks for the support. It's a tough world out there, I'm just hoping that all of these rifts and tides don't hang around too long. I truly hate the negative stuff.

Hey there Regina! We'll have to meet up for coffee or a beer one of these days :o)

Thanks so much for stopping by, I'll be sure to check out your blog soon!

Barb

Lisa Clarke said...

Barbara, I really identify with one of the things you said:

"When I look through pc books in the library or bookstore, usually what I do is flip through and stop on pages that intrigue me. I rarely follow tutorials"

I can't remember the last time I followed a tutorial - maybe 2002? I find it far more effective to just flip through books, magazines, videos, and soak up the inspiration. How it all comes together is something that is uniquely me. That, to me, is when artmaking is it's most satisfying.